Friday, September 15, 2017

What My 6th Grader Has Been Reading

When the new school year started my 6th grader came to me and asked me what book she wanted me to have her read. I perused the bookshelves and grabbed one of my favorite books that I thought that she was finally old enough to read. She loved it so much. She asked me if she could read more books on China. I began pulling all of the books that I had on China both history and historical fiction. I decided to made her 6th grade year a study on China. I love that homeschooling allows the freedom to explore areas of study as they come along such as this one did. We plan to explore China's geography, culture, history, language, foods, etc.. The book that set of this interest was.....


After reading this book my daughter was in utter disbelief and heartbroken by the tradition of foot binding. She fought back tears many times throughout the book. Next, I gave her a more challenging book. I was very unsure if she would be up to the challenge as it is a high school level book and has a lot of very graphic content. Since it is a classic and she is a very strong reader I decided to give it to her. Well, she blew me away. She read this book in 4 days and LOVED IT!


Here are the other books that I have pulled out of my treasure trove of books. More will be added as the year progresses. I cannot wait to see what she has read by the end of the year and the knowledge she has acquired. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

My Elephant is Blue

Melinda Szymanik writes about BIG feelings in her book My Elephant is Blue. Have you ever felt so down that you felt as though an elephant ...