Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Home School in the Woods



I had the opportunity to review History Through The Ages Hands-On History Lap-Pak: U.S. Elections by Home School in the Woods. I was very excited when this review was offered with 2016 being an election year. For this review I received the downloadable version. The suggested grades are, 3rd-8th grade.


Through hands-on activities, your student will learn the process of electing a president. There are 21 lapbook activities your student will make using the printable templates. The activities will require the student to utilize creative writing and research as they color their way through the election process. Included in the download is a 24 page booklet entitled, US Elections. Your student can either read the booklet on their own or listen to the audio version of the booklet.

High quality master printables are available for each lapbook activity. Each activity has step-by-step instructions on assembling the activity and arranging them on the file folder. 


I used this Lap-Pak for my 10th grader to fulfill a portion of her government credit for high school graduation. Even though this Lap-Pak is geared for younger grades I found it to be a great addition to my daughter's study of government. Since this is a Presidential Election year, I wanted to be sure that my daughter had a working understanding of the election process. Also, I thought this would be more of an enjoyable way to learn about our government and elections. 


I considered having my 9th grade son do this lap-pak but knew that he would greatly dislike all of the coloring, cutting, and putting together that is involved.




Some of the activities included in the Lap-Pak are:
  • Caucuses and Primaries 
  • The Electoral College
  • The Three Branches of Government
  • The Presidential Campaign: Platform
You can find a detailed Scope and Sequence in the Home School in the Woods site. 

What My 10th Grader Thought
My student is a very perfectionistic person so she has not yet completed the lap-pak. She has learned a fair amount of new information about the election process. I will say that she was not excited when I presented this project to her. She said that she has been kind of distracted by all of the individual components of the lap-pak, but thinks that once it is all complete and put together she will be able to better focus on the content. My thought is that she is probably learning more than she thinks. When she completes the lap-pak she will be surprised at what she has learned. 






Final Thoughts
I would highly recommend this History Through The Ages Hands-On History Lap-Pak: U.S. Elections to other educators and homeschoolers. In my many years of teaching I have found that hands-on projects are very helpful teaching tools. I found this lap-pak to be a bit too involved and advanced, material wise for a grade school student. Again, this is my personal opinion. I also believe that this type of learning is not for everyone. I would definitely use more curricula from Home School in the Woods. 

To read more reviews click HERE.


Social Media:
Facebook
Google +
Pinterest
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shark Anatomy Floor Puzzle

The  Shark  Anatomy Floor Puzzle  is a reversible 2-in-1 puzzle.  This puzzle is 54" long by 21" high and contains 100 pieces.   T...