Monday, September 30, 2019

Sound for Life Ltd ~ A Review


A few years back I had the privilege of reviewing Forebrain from Sound for Life Ltd. I was very excited when I was offered the opportunity to try their new Soundsory headphone device. Contained within the headphones, Soundsory is a multi-sensory program that combines sound with movement to stimulate the vestibular and auditory systems simultaneously. The built in 20 hour program is set up to be used for 30 minutes per day, for 40 days. Each day is split into two parts. The first part is a 25 minute rhythmic music listening session. The second part is 5 minutes of music that is to be used in combination with movement. Throughout the 30 minute session you will hear a wide variety of musical genres. The musical genres go back and forth throughout the session. The music will start out soft and build up and then get soft again. When a session is complete the headphone will automatically shut off.


The music is delivered through air and bone-conduction for total auditory stimulation. Built into the top of the headphone is a bone-conduction transducer that is located at the top middle of the headset. As the music plays the transducer will vibrate thus providing auditory stimulation.





I did not feel the vibration of the bone-conduction transducer working on our headset. I used my hand to try and feel and I still could not feel vibration. I have used similar devices that have bone-conduction transducers built into the headset and I could feel the vibration. I assume we have a defective product and that is why I am unable to feel the vibration in the Soundsory.

The Soundsory unit connects to a standard USB port to your computer or wall charger via the USB charging cable provided. The unit charges in 4 hours. There is a charge bar that will display on the side of the headphone display to show the battery life. There is a Bluetooth mode so that the  headphone can also be used as a regular headset. 

So who used Soundsory?

I had my 11-year-old daughter who had mild sensory issues use the program. I also used the program. I wanted to see how this program worked and what I thought about it.


My daughter said, "The music was not calming to me at all. It was too much going on and loud even when I turned the volume down. I didn't like it at all. It made me feel funny and crazy inside."

My thoughts, "I found the music selections to be very busy and it made me want to turn it off. It was not calming to me at all. It made me anxious. I actually got headaches during many of the sessions. I felt very flustered after listening to the sessions. Personally, I really wanted to like the sessions. I haven't totally given up on Soundsory yet. I am hoping that as I research more on the site I can figure out maybe why my daughter and I are having negative experiences. I know that this technology works I just need to figure out how to make it work for us."

Soundsory has been found to help those with:

  • Autism Spectrum 
  • Motor Delays
  • Balance and Coordination
  • Developmental Delays
  • Sensory and Auditory Processing Disorders
  • ADD and ADHD
During sessions users are encouraged to:

  • Relax
  • Move: walk, dance, run
  • Creativity: draw, paint, build
  • Play: cards, legos, puzzles
During sessions users are encouraged to AVOID:
  • Stress
  • Screen time
  • Speaking
  • Driving
  • Eating/Chewing

During the 5 minute movement session to music you can find exercises that go along with each session on the Soundsory website.


Soundsory has been designed for ages 2 and older. What makes Soundsory unique is that it is a home based program. Those that are familiar with the Tomatis Method may wonder how this differs. Well, Soundsory does not include the advanced settings that the Tomatis Method set-up has. Therefore, it cannot be a replacement for the Tomatis Method. Soundsory is uniquely intended to provide parents with an at home option.

I would recommend others to check out the Soundsory website and read about the benefits of their multi-sensory program. Also, make sure to read what my fellow crew members have to say about Soundsory by clicking the link below.

Social Media
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/soundsory/
Instagram: 
https://www.instagram.com/soundforlifeofficial/

To read more reviews click here.




















6 comments:

  1. Sensory Processing South Africa

    Sensory Processing South Africa is the process that organizes sensation from one's own body and the environment, thus making it possible to use the body effectively within the environment. Examples are: Screaming if their faces get wet, throwing tantrums when you try to get them dressed, having an unusually high or low pain threshold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forbrain South Africa

    Forbrain South Africa is a user-friendly device that uses bone conduction and a series of dynamic filters to give the user feedback of his/her own voice. Forbrain is a universal tool that complements academic learning and boosts students' confidence in their reading, attention, and public speaking skills amongst many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music and Sound Therapy South Africa

    A total Approach SA we help with issues such as motor delays, balance and coordination, developmental delay and sensory processing through the use of Music and Sound Therapy South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Occupational Therapy South Africa

    Occupational Therapy South Africa is the use of assessment and intervention to develop, recover, or maintain the meaningful activities, or occupations, of individuals, groups, or communities. They help these patients develop, recover, improve, as well as maintain the skills needed for daily living and working. We Believe In Helping Children & Adults to develop their talents by enhancing their natural potential through innovative technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LEARN GERMAN FOR ADULT BEGINNERS: SPEAK GERMAN IN 30 DAYS! - 3 BOOKS IN 1

Have you always wanted to learn German? Then look no further. Explore to Win:  LEARN GERMAN FOR ADULT BEGINNERS: SPEAK GERMAN IN 30 DAYS! -...