Thursday, May 23, 2024

The Opposite of Depression



I found The Opposite of Depression: What My Work with Suicidal Patients Has Taught Me about Life, Hope, and How to Flourish to be a book filled with information, but no practical advice. My expectation was that the book would provide advice and exercises on how to overcome depression based on personal experiences. It's faith-based, which I love. Despite Scripture being given, it is not accompanied by examples of how you can apply it to your life. It was a book that I struggled with from the very beginning. The first chapter is entitled "Depression's Surprising Gift". Throughout the first pages, there is just a deep dive into depression's horrors. "Unlike most other medical conditions, which may affect one or more parts or systems in the body but leave the mind intact, depression impinges on every aspect of a person: body, mind, and soul..." "Depression is one of the worst states of disease a person can experience, and it has been found to be the second leading cause of disability worldwide."

It keeps going. In my opinion, depression isn't one of the worst diseases. It is indeed very difficult. Even though I've struggled with severe depression most of my life, I can think of many diseases that are worse than depression. There are numerous horrible diseases like Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Cancer, Huntington's Disease, and Lou Gherig's Disease. It is common for diseases to be incurable and to cause painful deaths. Even though depression is debilitating, it can be treated with a wide variety of therapies, medications, meditation and relaxation techniques, exercise, spiritual healing, gut health, and other methods. I am not trying to downplay the severity of depression.

"...we also have a secret weapon: a treatment called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)." Despite it being FDA-approved, he fails to inform readers that it doesn't work on everyone. He does not mention that it can permanently alter a person's memory. TMS patients are reporting pretty frightening side effects. It is not risk-free. With therapy, spiritual counseling, holistic practices, and a personalized approach, the author states, "In short, we can radically change people's brain activity in a matter of a few days, restoring them to mental health."

I don't think you should ever promise something this monumental to someone suffering from severe depression. Although this may work for some, it won't work for everyone. I find this disturbing. It's one of the other aspects of the book I dislike. Throughout the book the author brags about his many achievements and talks up his practice. It seemed to me that this book was intended to help those who are depressed.

This is how the book is broken down.

Part 1: Mind

Part 2: Body

Part 3: Soul

I found myself saying out loud so many times while reading, "This would be the logical time to add in a practical exercise." or "Help your readers apply what you have just written to their lives."

I was not impressed with this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bible Story Handbook

Teaching the many stories from the Bible to children of all ages is made easy with The Bible Story Handbook: A Resource for Teaching 175 Sto...