Sunday, June 12, 2016

Literature Lists


The official school year is over and summer is upon us. Preparations for the upcoming school year is already in full swing. Last week I ordered the required literature books for my 8th, 10th, and 11th graders sent out by their co-op instructors. I cringe each summer when the book list e-mails begin rolling in. Due to highlighting and annotating I am unable to pass novels down the line. So, instead I take a deep breath, sit down and begin ordering. This is the following books for Introduction to Literature, American Literature, and 20th Century Literature. 

Indian Captive
My Side of the Mountain
The Sign of the Beaver
Amos Fortune, Free Man
Carry on Mr. Bowditch
Johnny Tremain
Bound for Oregon
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Red Badge of Courage
The Call of the Wild
To Kill a Mockingbird
Out of the Dust
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Maniac Magee

~

The Best Short Stories of O. Henry
Evidence Not Seen
Brave Companions
Outliers
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Chosen
The Crucible 
The Giver
Moby Dick
My Antonia
100 Best-Loved Poems
Our Town
The Portable Edgar Allen Poe
The Scarlet Letter
Walden and Civil Disobedience
The Grapes of Wrath

~

The Universe Next Door
The Tempest
Kon Tiki
The Snow Goose
Murder on the Orient Express
The Contender
Mere Christianity
The Abolition of Man
Walden Two
The Great Gatsby
Heart of Darkness and Selections from the Congo Diary
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
The Old Man and the Sea
Cry, the Beloved Country
Alas, Babylon
The Metamorphosis 

Great Literature! I am so excited for each of my children to experience these reads. By the end of high school my children have read all of the great classics and so many other amazing novels. Literature opens up a whole new world. 


"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. 
No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness." 
~Helen Keller~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moose and the Math Fairy

Moose and the Math Fairy is about Lemma, a Math Fairy who helps those in need with math problems. She has a pet moose named Moose who is n...