Thursday, November 10, 2016

When Food Is Your Foe.....

What do you do when food is your foe? My original posting When Food Is Your Foe will better explain this blog post title. You work with what you have and get very creative. So my daughter currently has only a couple of safe foods which include apple, potato, pomegranate, lemon, honey, cinnamon, and sugar. I am taking advantage of the season and getting very creative with apples and pomegranates.


Gather the pomegranate seeds
(the easiest way to accomplish the task is the score the fruit in half along the rind without cutting into the fruit itself, open it up, push the pomegranate half to release the seeds)


This is 9 medium pomegranates


Yummy goodness


I used a juicer to gather the juice. 


Do not throw away the seeds as they still have a good amount of juice that can be extracted from them. 


I used a potato press to extract the rest of the juice from the seeds. I was able to get an extra 16 oz of juice by pressing the seeds. 


Seed and pulp left. 


I ended up with about 6 cups of juice. 


To make the jam I used about 2 cups of the pomegranate juice, two peeled and diced Granny Smith apples, 1/2 cup sugar, and some fresh squeezed lemon (maybe 1/2 tbsp). I boiled and then simmered the ingredients for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.


I ended up with 24 oz of yummy jam! 



My daughter will enjoy this yummy jam on her potato crust that I make with mashed potatoes, potato flour, and water. It is very simple to make. Make mashed potatoes with nothing else but water to boil the potatoes. Mix mashed potatoes, potato flour, and water to make a consistency that you can mash out on a parchment paper lined pan. Bake until golden brown. I flip the crust over half way through so that both sides get golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something in the Basement

A little girl named Cecilia is afraid of a new sound she hears after moving into a new house in Malika Oakley's Something in the Basemen...