Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Cold & Flu Season


As we enter into cold and flu season, and as a mother of kiddos with chronic health issues, our battle begins. I dread the common illnesses that, though they are unpleasant for all, are potentially catastrophic for my kiddos. 

Last year, parainfluenza landed my 6 year old in the hospital for almost two weeks over Christmas. Less than a day after developing symptoms my daughter got critically ill and had to be admitted to the hospital. Her gut shut down and she ended up having to be put on TPN because she was unable to tolerate her normal tube feeds. Her asthma began to flare, which in turn complicated the situation even more. She developed an infection in her salivary glands and her face become extremely swollen. This in turn required IV antibiotics. She was very sick. 



Common viruses frequently send another one of my kiddos health issues in a downward spiral. Sometimes takes weeks for her to get back to baseline. Though I cannot protect our family from all germs I would hope that other would be mindful and, when sick, stay home or remain somewhat isolated until better.

I cannot even count the times that my kiddos have had to be hospitalized due to common illnesses. When my kiddos get sick our life spirals out of control and it affects more than just my child. I am not saying all of this to dump on others, because everyone gets sick. It is just a part of life. What I am saying is, please be mindful of those that have compromised health and those that care for them. If you have to be out, take precautions to help in NOT spreading your germs. Remember, my children did not choose to deal with chronic health issues. 

So, going into this season of sniffles, coughs, sore throats, fevers, and the like, please take care to protect those that are unable to fight through the germs as well as most. 




1 comment:

  1. This is something I admit I don't think about on my own! Thanks so much for raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete

Moose and the Math Fairy

Moose and the Math Fairy is about Lemma, a Math Fairy who helps those in need with math problems. She has a pet moose named Moose who is n...