Thursday, January 12, 2017

When Food Is Your Foe, Continued..

This is the third posting related to food. My first and second posts will give you a base as to why I call food a foe. Holidays are such a difficult time for individuals that have limited diets. Food is EVERYWHERE and there is so much of it during the holiday season. If Thanksgiving wasn't difficult enough, those with limited diets have to suffer through Christmas and New Years. Sticking to a diet and dealing with the crazy emotions that are tied up with food are enough to send anyone over the edge. Several years ago I was diagnosed with EoE. While cheating definitely has its physical consequences for me it isn't life threatening. I experience esophageal narrowing, feeling of food stuck in my esophagus, nausea, extreme fatigue, body pain, heightened anxiety, and overall yuck. If I choose to eat a food that I know will cause the above issues I inevitably pay the consequences. Sometimes the flesh is weak. I always regret my choices but in the moment I only see the want. So while I delighted in some of the wonderful foods during the holiday season I realize just how much I missed out on. I was so extremely fatigued every day. I couldn't make it through the day without a several hour nap. My belly was in fits. Emotionally I was not liking myself and neither was my family. It really is so very crazy how FOOD can be such a foe. Now that I am back on my strict diet I am slowly emerging from my food fog. I am beginning to feel more in control and alive. I am sure that this will not be the last time that I struggle with food. 

I am extremely grateful for the internet. I can find just about any recipe and modify it to fit my diet. There is a great deal of trial and error. It isn't cheap. It is often a bit more time consuming. But when you find a recipe that works you fill like you have won the lottery!! Just yesterday I was trying to figure out what to make to compliment the roast and veggies that I had in the oven. I am a bit tired of rice and potatoes. I decided that some cornbread would make a great compliment to the meal. I began searching for recipes. I found one that looked promising but would definitely need to be modified. The finished product turned out fabulous! The whole family was shocked at how good it tasted. So without further ado, here is my recipe. 

Gluten Free Cornbread

2 cups ground corn (I use my Blendtec to grind organic corn)
2 cups gluten free flour blend
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
6 eggs
2 Tbsp cornstarch

I just threw all of the ingredients in together and used my Kitchen Aid mixer to thoroughly blend.
I used a glass 13x9x2 inch pan. 
I set the oven at 350 degrees. 
I really don't remember how long it was in. 
But when a toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden you are set. 

The cornbread was super moist, fluffy, and absolutely delicious!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shark Anatomy Floor Puzzle

The  Shark  Anatomy Floor Puzzle  is a reversible 2-in-1 puzzle.  This puzzle is 54" long by 21" high and contains 100 pieces.   T...