Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Heirloom Audio Productions ~ With Lee In Virginia


I had the opportunity to review Heirloom Audio Production'sWith Lee In Virginia. Along with the 2 disk audio CD's, I received a downloadable version of the With Lee In Virginia, Study Guide. This incredible audio drama is packed with a historical story that is sure to make history come alive for the listener. If your children love adventure they will love Heirloom's Audio Productions. This Live The Adventure!® is adapted from G.A. Henty's book, With Lee In Virginia. Sit back and enjoy the 2 1/2 hour non-stop adventure!!

American Civil War 
noun
1.the war in the United States between the North and the South, 1861–65. The war was fought over issues of slavery and states rights. 


A Civil War Story
Joining the cavalry was something most boys could not wait to do in the 1800's. When 15 year old, Vincent Wingfield joins the cavalry, the Army of Northern Virginia, he soon finds himself fighting along famous Confederate generals, General Robert E. Lee and General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Vincent learns honor, sense of duty, and to take a bold stand for his country. General Lee's strong devotion to God inspires Vincent on his journey.  

There are many familiar faces at Heirloom Audio Productions. 



What We Thought About It
What a more perfect way to begin your journey learning about the Civil War than listening to a dramatized audio story about the Civil War. Heirloom's Productions make the listener feel like you are living the adventure. My 9th grader, 7th grader and I listened to, With Lee In Virginia. My son loves history so he was very excited when he got the opportunity to experience this audio journey with General's Lee and Jackson. 



My 7th grader colored while listening to the CD's. She normally listens to music while doing activities but really enjoyed this audio drama. Unlike my son, she asked a lot of questions about different things that were taking place during the drama and it opened the door to some very deep conversations about slavery, boys joining the army so young, and many American Civil War questions. This was all coming from a girl who does not particularly enjoy history. 

My 9th grader loves history and really enjoyed this audio dramatization of, With Lee In Virginia. Unlike history texts, autobiographies, and history books this audio production gives the listener the opportunity to "live the adventure" through the dramatis personae. 
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
~General Stonewall Jackson~
Study Guide
The study guide is a FABULOUS complement to the audio drama CD's. I found the study guide to be extremely helpful in discussing the story with my children. The study guide is set up to aid the younger student in understanding the story as well as challenging the older student at a deeper level. The study questions are divided into three sections. 

The Listening Well ~focuses on what was heard~

The Thinking Further ~challenges the child to think, draw conclusions, and speculate~

The Defining Words ~ defining unfamiliar vocabulary~

The study guide is available via computer download. While downloads are easy and convenient, I personally prefer to have physical copies of materials. The study guide is quite long, 52 pages. The guide is very colorful and full of amazing pictures. I knew that there was no way that our color printer would be able to give me the quality that I desired. I found an online site where I was able to get the study guide printed and shipped for under $20. I was so excited!! When my copies arrived I then put the pages in protective sleeves and then into a 3-ring binder. Problem solved!!


The study guide was very useful to open up further discussion on topics such as slavery. The study guide has a page entitled, Slavery In The Bible, that helped guide this discussion. Included in the study guide is map showing where the Civil War battles were fought. All of the many questions that my children asked while listening to the audio CD's were answered in the companion study guide. Character sketches of General Lee and General Jackson give the student who is not familiar with the American Civil War and the parts that they played in the war. For the student that may not be familiar with military terminology the defining words lists are quite helpful. 



Overall Thoughts

Our family enjoyed listening to, With Lee In Virginia. I would highly recommend Heirloom Audio Productions to fellow educators and parents. Several months ago we had the privilege of reviewing, In Freedom's Cause. Come join in on the ADVENTURE!! 


"I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. 
I know too well my weakness, that our only 
hope is in God."
~ Robert E. Lee ~ 


To read more reviews click here

Social Media



1 comment:

Shark Anatomy Floor Puzzle

The  Shark  Anatomy Floor Puzzle  is a reversible 2-in-1 puzzle.  This puzzle is 54" long by 21" high and contains 100 pieces.   T...