Thursday, January 14, 2016

K is for Kombucha


Blogging through the Alphabet ~ K


According to Merriam-Webster:
kombucha:

noun kom·bu·cha \ˌkäm-ˈbü-shə, -chə\
Medical Definition of kombucha
  
a gelatinous mass of symbiotic bacteria (as Acetobacter xylinum) and yeasts (as of the genera Brettanomyces and Saccharomyces) grown to produce a fermented beverage held to confer health benefits; also :  the beverage prepared by fermenting kombucha with black tea and sugar


About 6 months ago I decided to stop spending exorbitant amounts of money to buy kombucha. By accident, I left a half drank bottle of store bought kombucha on my counter and low and behold, it grew a scoby. Since then my family has been drinking our home brewed komucha. I used to only purchase it every once in awhile because of the cost and it was greatly rationed. Now I no longer have to put a limit on how much my kiddos drink. Normally, they only drink a medium sized glass a day. Not everyone in the family is a fan of this fermented, fizzy drink. If you are grossed out easily handling scoby's may not be up your alley. As the months have passed by and my scoby collection has grown I have been able to increase the amount of komucha that I brew. Wondering what on earth a scoby is well click this link and learn all about this interesting growth of bacteria. 

Kombucha brewing, yum.


Cranberry and apple kombucha ready to enjoy!


Brewing tea, ready to start a new batch of kombucha.


Scoby's in the bowl waiting to go into the new batch.





This post is a part of a collaborative project called, Blogging through the Alphabet. To read more 
click here and here

2 comments:

  1. Years ago my in-laws got us hooked on brewing some sort of tea something that might have been similar to the Kombucha and Scobys you shared about. We drank small amounts of it kind of like medicine or vitamins; I don't remember loving it enough to worry about drinking too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it would be for me. I have a friend that regularly brews and drinks kombucha, so I've been curious, but . . . yeah, I don't think so. Thanks for sharing the information though!

    ReplyDelete

Shark Anatomy Floor Puzzle

The  Shark  Anatomy Floor Puzzle  is a reversible 2-in-1 puzzle.  This puzzle is 54" long by 21" high and contains 100 pieces.   T...